18 September 2011

Now I lay me down to sleep

Sleeping is no mean art:  for its sake one must stay awake all day.  
Friedrich Nietzsch

As I contemplate where I will take a Sunday afternoon nap, (due to very broken's night's sleep) I started thinking about human's need for sleep. This is a subject that I do tend to think about often, considering the amount of time I find myself writing about it lately. 

For me, the primary and most dominant motivation for sleeping separately is my need for sleep. I create living nightmares for others when I don't get enough of it and have always watched all my mother friends with admiration as they carried on their lives while coping with the loss of sleep of due to babies and young children.

I thought I would share a few good websites I have come across recently that deal with the science of sleep - or more importantly the effects of the lack thereof.

The ASA is the peak scientific body in Australia & New Zealand representing clinicians, scientists and researchers in the broad area of Sleep. 

Waking America to the importance of sleep

Australian Broadcast Commission (ABC) show Catalyst has put together a great range of videos that deal with the importance of sleep
An American site dedicated to research into sleep deprivation

I hope my very small readership might find something of interest to them.


No comments:

Post a Comment